"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure."
~Helen Keller
Many people have been so surprised to learn of Darcy's passion to join this mission trip. I hear many of the same responses, "Will she be able to "rough it". Many thoughts going on. It amazes me and also at the same time, it opens my eyes. I bet many thought the same about me when I first went on a mission. It strikes me that security is really a longing which my heart may never realize. And then it strikes me that to be truly secure would be the worst thing in the world. Why would I want a complete guarantee that my life was “in the bag” regardless of my actions? Such a promise would stop me from pursuing, discourage me from learning, and eliminate the presence or need for motivation. What a blank life. What a scary abiss of an existence. Surely God who made us, Who sees us tempted, frustrated, scared, and out of control, understands this to be the only way that we will begin to look for Him. We cannot “find” Him. We cannot secure complete understanding of His provision for His followers. But we can feel insecure. We can feel desperate. We can feel afraid. And this is what causes us to jump off a cliff, to follow the impossible, to keep asking questions, to continue to seek something much greater than our own lives. A “daring adventure,” then, is not a blind leap into oblivion for an adrenaline rush and a few bruise, but rather, it is a plea for something which puts the randomness of life into some perspective and shows us the way to live with purpose. True freedom that comes from knowing we live accountable to a higher calling. This is probably makes no sense and maybe this is just all a part of the caffeine detoxification I'm in right now! :o)
Darcy is an amazing woman with a huge heart and a contagious smile. God has GREAT things in store for her on this trip. And I'm honored and touched to be able to serve next to her.
Life is unpredictable. But even for my fear of heights I’d rather have that cliff than a warm bed and a “security deposit.” Bring me that horizon…
No comments:
Post a Comment