Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Worry is a 4 letter word

No? It should be. The bad kind of 4-letter word, of course.

A while ago someone told me that my worrying is basically just my inability to trust God. And I didn’t like that one single bit. Mainly because it was true. I worried therefore I did not trust God.

As a Christ follower, I shouldn’t even allow this word to pass from my lips. So, I am trying not to use it. I use the word “concerned” instead. My pastor recently spoke about this and I almost laughed out loud during the message because I DO THIS. A LOT. Saying I’m concerned about something makes me sound a whole heckuva lot wiser.

If you’ve known Christ for any amount of time, you have probably heard a message preached about worry. And the likelihood that it included Matthew 6:25-34 is incredibly high. If you aren’t familiar with this passage, I suggest you read it.

EVERYDAY.

In a book I'm reading it says:

"We’re never going to overcome worry by eliminating reasons to worry. Rest assured, life isn’t going to suddenly fix itself. God wills that we overcome worry even when overwhelmed by reasons to worry."

Something dawned on me the morning I was reading this particular devotional. Why don’t I just turn my worry into prayer.


Stop the applause. I’m a genius. Tis true.

Actually, I realize this is quite elementary. Many of you are nodding your heads in agreement because you’ve been doing it for years. Some of you, like me, have forgotten how to turn a concern into a petition to your Heavenly Daddy. And I imagine there are a few of you who’ve never thought about this before. If that’s you, let me put some hands and feet to this.

When you worry if you will ever get married, stop and pray. When you worry about your child’s safety, stop and pray. When you worry about losing your job, stop and pray. When you worry if someone you love will soon die, stop and pray. If you should choose to follow my advice, it may seem like all you are doing is praying.

I think that’s the point

From the lips of MC Hammer…

We got to pray
Just to make it today
I said we pray (pray) ah, yeah, pray (pray)
We got to pray
Just to make it to pray
That’s word, we pray

I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist. Feel free to go back through the lyrics and sing it. Oh, and make sure you say, “Aw yeah”. That really does it for me. :o)

Many Blessings, ~M

No comments: